Registering the birth of your baby
Registering a birth
Any birth that takes place in the London Borough of Bromley must be registered at Bromley Register Office, at one of three locations.
- Bromley Civic Centre,
- The Children and Family Centre in Sunningvale Avenue, Biggin Hill TN16 3TN (alternate Wednesdays subject to staff availability.We can only take cash payments for certificates at Biggin Hill.)
- Community Vision, Woodbine Grove, Penge SE20 8UX. (alternate Wednesdays subject to staff availability. We can only take cash payments for certificates at Penge.)
The registration will take about 15 to 20 minutes and by law has to be completed within 42 days of baby's arrival. If the parents of a child are married to each other, then either parent can register the birth. If the parents are not married to each other and the parents want details of the father to appear in the entry, then both parents need to attend the register office together. If this is not possible, telephone the register office for further information.
What information will the registrar need?
- Baby's full names and date of birth
- Parents' full names, job descriptions and address or addresses
- Place and date of birth of both parents
- Date of marriage of parents if applicable
- Hospital discharge papers
To help ensure the accuracy of the information recorded it would be useful if you could bring supporting documentation with you (e.g. passport, driving licence, utility bill, birth and marriage certificates). Do not worry if any of these documents are not available as the registrar can still proceed to register the birth.
You will need to book an appointment to register a birth using our online diary.
Booking online means you can browse the diary for the most convenient time and you will be able to amend or cancel appointments easily.
You can book by calling us, but you will be offered the next available appointment only.
Opening hours are Monday to Friday from 9.30 am to 4.30 pm.
Appointments are available at Biggin Hill Children and Family Centre and Community Vision, Penge on alternate Wednesdays subject to staff availability. We can only take cash payments for certificates at Biggin Hill and Penge.
A short birth certificate, issued at the time of registration, costs £4.
A full birth certificate costs £4.
Can I register elsewhere?
If it is more convenient, information about the event can be given at another register office. These details will then be forwarded to us. We will register the birth and post to you any birth certificates you require. This process is called registering a birth by declaration.