Complaints procedure

We aim to provide the best services possible but sometimes things go wrong. If they do, tell us about it and we will try to put the problem right as quickly as possible.

Our complaints procedure has three stages:

Stage 1

Use our complaints form to tell us your concerns.  You may attach documents or photographs to the online form. 

The manager of the service will usually investigate the complaint and reply to you within 5 working days.  If the issue is very complicated it may take longer but we will aim to reply within 20 working days.  We will let you know if we need more time to investigate and respond.  Timings may be different for complaints about social care. 

Stage 2

If you are unhappy with your stage 1 response you can ask the Chief Officer of the department to investigate your complaint.  You should say why you are dissatisfied and let us know what you would like to result from the Chief Officer’s investigation.  Please let  us know if you are happy with part of your stage 1 response, but some of your complaint is still outstanding and let us have any further information that may be helpful to settle your complaint.  The Chief Officer may investigate the matter personally or ask a senior manager to do this. 

Stage 3

If you are unhappy with the responses at stages 1 and 2 of this procedure, you can ask the Chief Executive to review your complaint.  Please tell him which issues remain outstanding, and supply evidence if this is available. 

If you need help to make a complaint for any reason, please ask a member of staff. You may also want to ask a friend or relative, community or voluntary agency, or your local councillor for support.

Using our online form will ensure that your complaint gets to the person who can help as quickly as possible, but if you prefer you can write to us, telephone or call into our offices (you may need to make an appointment to see a particular officer).

We hope we can resolve your complaint, but if you are still dissatisfied after Stage 3, you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman.  This independent organisation investigates complaints against councils.  There is no charge for this service, but the Local Government Ombudsman will usually only consider your complaint after you have given us the opportunity to resolve matters for you.