Council tax 2017/18

A guide to your council tax 2017/18

Council tax is a property-based tax payable on most domestic properties such as a house or flat but can include a houseboat, caravan or a granny annexe.

The council tax charge is set by local councillors and depends on how much money is needed to run local services and how much is given to the council by central government.

One bill is sent to each household detailing the council tax charge for the forthcoming year. The band of the property determines the level of tax each household pays.

How much will I pay?

There is an increase in Bromley’s part of the council tax of 1.99 percent, with the Adult Social Care precept increasing by a further 2 percent. There is an increase of 1.46 percent in the GLA part.  This means there is an overall increase of 3.47 percent. (Due to decimal rounding this shows as 3.5 percent on your council tax bill).

Property Bromley* (£.p) GLA (£.p) Total
 Band A  742.68 186.68 929.36
 Band B 866.46 217.79 1,084.25
 Band C 990.24 248.91 1,239.15
 Band D 1,114.02 280.02 1,394.04
 Band E 1,361.58 342.25 1,703.83
 Band F 1,609.14 404.47 2,013.61
 Band G 1,856.70 466.70 2,323.40
 Band H 2,228.04 560.04 2,788.08

*Including Adult Social Care precept. 

You can view the valuation bands for council tax purposes

Your council tax bill for 2017/18

Council tax bills for 2017/18 have been sent out. Your first payment is due on 18 April 2017. Followed by payments on the 1st of each month (or the 15th if you have opted to pay by direct debit). 

If you pay by any method other than by direct debit you should pay 5 days before the due date to allow for postal delivery/bank processing.

Information to explain this year's council tax.

Council tax 2017/18 (PDF guide)

Details about how much council tax is payable for 2017/18, including how the council spends its money.

Guide to how your council tax pays for the Greater London Authority (GLA) services (PDF leaflet)

Information about how the GLA spends its part of your council tax. 

Letter to the Department for Communities and Local Government about the Adult Social Care precept.

How to pay your council tax 

Different payment methods are available and you can view your account online.

Discounts and exemptions

If you think you are entitled to a discount or exemption on your council tax. 

Council tax

Email:

Tel: 0300 303 8670

Fax: 020 8464 8016

PO Box 126, Bromley, BR1 3ZT