Debt and money advice
The credit crunch and current economic climate may be putting you under increased financial and personal pressure. It may be affecting your job security, your home, or your relationship. If you are experiencing any difficulties caused by the economic situation, there is support and advice available.
Citizens Advice Bureaux (CAB)
CAB offers free general advice and help with case work on welfare benefits, housing and debt as well as general help on family law, consumer issues, employment, personal injury, immigration and other legal issues. There are three offices in Bromley;
We are helping people to access the mortgage rescue scheme, which will help to prevent some people becoming homeless.
Our Get help now leaflet! gives advice about dealing with debt, mortgage or rent arrears and information about the mortgage rescue scheme.
Lewisham Plus Credit Union Ltd
A financial co-operative run for the benefit of people living or working in SE19, SE20, SE26, BR1 and BR3. The credit union encourages savings and provides lower cost loans. Telephone: 020 8778 4738
Benefits grants and allowances
If you have been made redundant or are facing redundancy there is a range of help available to you.
Advice Guide website
The main public information service of Citizens Advice, providing people with round-the-clock access to CAB information on their rights - including benefits, housing and employment, debt and consumer and legal issues.
The website of the UK government providing information and online services for the public. The website includes advice on;
National Debt line and website 0808 808 4000 The helpline and website provide free confidential and independent advice on how to deal with debt problems.
The Money Advice Service provides specific advice and support around a range of money issues, including redundancy, retirement and divorce. It also offers free information sessions and an online money health check to help people manage their finances better
Money saving advice
- There are several grants and discount schemes available to homeowners in Bromley.
- Take advantage of the free internet service available at Bromley Libraries.
- Our Sports and Leisure Centres can be used on a play and pay basis and may offer cheaper alternatives to the private sector.
- Citizen's advice consumer helpline - provides practical consumer advice including money, credit and buying advice.
- Re-assess your incomings and outgoings. This does not just have to include mortgages, loans and credit cards, cutting down on things such as utility bills can also make a considerable difference.
- There are price comparison websites that can help you assess everything from mortgage rates to supermarket shopping to see that you are getting the best deals.
- Prioritise your bills