Houses in multiple occupation - advice for tenants

Residential properties containing multiple flats and or bedsits are known as Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs). If you are a tenant living in an HMO and you need advice or information, please contact us. HMOs also include some guesthouses, hostels and lodging houses.


We regulate and inspect HMOs in the Borough in accordance with Housing and Environmental Health legislation, our adopted standards and our HMO license scheme. We inspect, risk assess and where appropriate, license HMOs within the Borough. We also provide information and advice on HMO fire precautions, management and maintenance issues.

As a tenant, you will generally be responsible for internal decorations within your flat or bedsit and any of your own appliances or fixtures. You will also be expected to avoid damaging your landlord's fixtures and fittings and keep your flat or bedsit in a reasonable condition.

Your landlord will generally be responsible for fire precautions, such as fire detection systems and emergency lighting, maintenance and management of the building and communal areas, internal maintenance of rented flats or bedsits and the provision of amenities.

If you think your landlord may need a licence, see the landlord's guide to licensing.