Riding establishment licence

If you intend to run a horse-riding school or hire horses out for rides you must be licensed.


Any person running a horse-riding school or who hires horses out for rides must be licensed.

Premises and stables will be inspected by a licensing officer and horses are subject to inspection by a veterinary officer.

Planning permission may need to be obtained before a licence is issued. Contact our planning department for further information.


The licence fee depends on the number of horses.

Number of horses  Full licence inspection fee 
 30 or more  £630*
 15 to 29  £490*
 Under 15  £315*

* Plus £7.73 per horse.

Guidance notes

Riding establishment licence application notes

Apply for a licence


Through our partnership with EUGO you can make and pay for your application online. When you make your application this way you only have to complete one set of forms and we will pass these on to all other responsible authorities for you.

By post

Eugo Logo



Tel: 020 8313 4218

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH