Free school meals
Free school meals/Pupil Premium Payments are available to all eligible pupils attending Bromley maintained schools. Since September 2014 primary pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 have received free school meals automatically but it is still necessary for parents of these pupils, who receive one or more of the qualifying benefits listed below, to complete a Free School Meal/Pupil Payment Premium application in order for the child's school to benefit from the additional Pupil Premium funding.
For pupils in all other year groups an application must be submitted to secure both Free School Meals and the Pupil Premium Payment.
For pupils attending Coopers School, Harris Academy Beckenham or Harris Academy Bromley applications must be made direct to the relevant school. Applications for out borough schools should be made to the Local Authority in whose area the school is situated.
Who should apply?
Parents of children aged four or over attending a maintained school in Bromley who receive child benefit for the child/children and one or more of the following:
- Equal Based JSA / ESA
- Income Support (IS)
- Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA)
- Income-related employment and support allowance (IRESA)
- Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income, as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs, that does not exceed £16,190
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Where a parent is entitled to Working Tax Credit run-on (the payment someone receives for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
How to apply
Application forms are available from Bromley schools, or you can apply online.
Once we have received your application your details will be checked via the Eligibility Checking Service and you will be advised by letter whether or not your claim is successful. Confirmation of eligibility will also be sent to your child(ren)'s school.
Once approved your child/children will receive free/school meals for a complete school year as long as you are still entitled to the qualifying benefit. You must notify us if there are any changes to your benefit entitlement. Parents and schools will be notified, in writing, of pupil's entitlement to free school meals/pupil premium.
Schools must provide a lunchtime meal that meets the School Food Standards.