Beckenham High Street Improvements
Public consultation and objectives
Substantial consultation was conducted with the community and local businesses in 2014 and 2015. This process identified key objectives for the proposed improvements:
- Remove/ reduce level of HGV usage in the High Street
- Improving pedestrian experience of the High Street – enhanced crossing and widened pavements
- Improving parking and loading provision for visitors and businesses
- Increase opportunities for regular street markets
- Improving quality realm – including coordinated and harmonious design, reduction of street clutter, emphasising ‘village’ identity, increased use of soft landscaping
- Maintaining traffic flow at major interchanges
- Enhancing public realm and pedestrian accessibility at War Memorial
These objectives have provided the framework for a concept design produced by East Architects. This was agreed by the Beckenham Town Centre Working Group at the end of 2015.
The proposals were displayed at a two day presentation event in January 2017.
During the construction phase the council and its contractors will be consulting and liaising with the local and business community to ensure minimal disruption.