Housing Benefit Fraud
Benefit fraud can be committed by a person claiming the benefit, someone helping the person claiming the benefit or on some occasions a landlord or an employer.
- It is fraud where a benefit claimant:
- is working but they have not told the council about their work
- has not told the council about property they own or all of their savings and investments
- has a partner, relative, friend or lodger living with them and has not told the Council
- is not claiming using their true identity
- is not living at the property they are receiving benefit for or is subletting the property
- has not told the council about all of their income
- pays rent to a family member or partner
As well as giving information someone knows to be false or inaccurate it is also fraudulent not to tell the council about a change in their circumstances
Housing benefit fraud is no longer investigated by the council. If you suspect someone is committing Housing Benefit Fraud you should now report this to the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP)
Telephone: 0800 854 440
Visit the Department of Work and Pensions website
Or by post to: NBFH, PO Box 224, Preston PR1 1GP.
If we receive any allegations of housing benefit we will refer them to the DWP.
Tel: 0800 169 6975
Tel: 020 8313 4886
Civic Centre, Stockwell Lane, Bromley, BR1 3UH