Applying for birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates
Bromley Register Office holds the records of births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships that occurred in the borough of Bromley from 1837 to the present day.
Certificates for births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships registered within the London Borough of Bromley can be obtained from the register office either by personal application or through the post. If you wish to pay by credit or debit card, you can also apply by telephone.
- name of person whose certificate you require;
- date and place of birth, death, marriage or civil partnership; and
- parents' names and mother's maiden name (for birth certificates only).
Please note that certificates from church marriage registers are only available from the register office once the church has delivered the register to us. This happens when the register is full. Until then, certificates can be obtained from the church.
Copies of decree absolutes are not held at the Register Office. These can be obtained from the county court where the divorce was heard.
Standard birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate £10.00.
Short birth certificate £10.00. A short birth certificate will only show the name and date of birth of the person. If you would like the certificate to be posted then a 50p postal charge will be added.
If you need your certificate to be issued urgently the following charge will apply in addition to the cost of the certificate. We are only able to offer the express service for events which occurred after 1945.
- Certificate issued within 1 hour of application - £33.00
- Certificate issued within 24 hours of application - £22.00
Making an application
- Applications by post should include a cheque or postal order made payable to the London Borough of Bromley.
- Applications for certificates can also be made at the Register Office reception from Monday to Friday from 9.30 am to 4.00 pm.
- Application by telephone can be made from Monday to Friday from 9.30 am to 4.00 pm.
Events registered outside LBBromley
If the birth death, marriage or civil partnership was not registered within the London Borough of Bromley or you are not sure where the event took place, you can order a certificate from the General Register Office.
A microfilm copy of the General Register Office index is available at the Local Studies Department in the Bromley Central Library.
Postal application for certificates from the General Register Office index can be made to the appropriate register office but please remember that the references shown on the microfiche do not correspond to the local index.
Alternatively you can apply to: General Register Office, PO Box 2, Southport, PR8 2JD