Applying for birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates
Bromley Register Office holds the records of births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships that occurred in the borough of Bromley from 1837 to the present day.
We can only accept orders for events that took place in Bromley.
Making an application
If you would like to obtain a copy of a certificate for a birth, marriage, civil partnership or death that took place in Bromley after 1900, please apply online.
Ordering your certificate with us is easy. Simply complete the form and have your card details ready to pay online using our secure payment facility.
If you cannot make this request online, or the event took place before 1900, you can order the certificate by:
- Writing to us. Applications by post should include a cheque or postal order made payable to the London Borough of Bromley.
- Visiting the register office reception in person from Monday to Friday from 9am to 4.30 pm.
- Telephoning 0300 303 8667 from Monday to Friday from 8.30 am to 5.pm, please have your card payment details ready.
- name of person whose certificate you require;
- date and place of birth, death, marriage or civil partnership; and
- parents' names and mother's maiden name (for birth certificates only).
Please note that certificates from church marriage registers are only available from the register office once the church has delivered the register to us. This happens when the register is full. Until then, certificates can be obtained from the church.
Copies of decree absolutes are not held at the Register Office. These can be obtained from the county court where the divorce was heard.
Standard birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificate £10
Short birth certificate £10. A short birth certificate will only show the name and date of birth of the person. If you would like the certificate to be posted then a £1 postal charge will be added.
If you need your certificate to be issued urgently the following charge will apply in addition to the cost of the certificate. We are only able to offer the express service for orders received by telephone or in person and for events which occurred after 1945.
- Certificate issued within 1 hour of application - £33.00
- Certificate issued within 24 hours of application - £22.00
Events registered outside LBBromley
If the birth death, marriage or civil partnership was not registered within the London Borough of Bromley or you are not sure where the event took place, you can order a certificate from the General Register Office.
A microfilm copy of the General Register Office index is available at the Local Studies Department in the Bromley Central Library.
Postal application for certificates from the General Register Office index can be made to the appropriate register officebut please remember that the references shown on the microfiche do not correspond to the local index.
Alternatively you can apply to: General Register Office, PO Box 2, Southport, PR8 2JD