Reporting child abuse

What to do if you are worried about a child?

If you think that a child or young person under the age of 18 years old is being abused or neglected, please telephone Childrens Services on 020 8461 7373 / 7379 / 7026.

Outside of office hours and at weekends and public holidays contact us on 0300 303 8671. If you are seriously concerned about a child's immediate safety, contact the police on 999.

Together, we can tackle child abuse

Everyone has a role to play in protecting children and young people from abuse and neglect. We encourage you to act on your suspicions and talk to our team if you have concerns about a child or young person. You don’t have to be absolutely certain about whether abuse is taking place. Every call counts - last year, 400,000 children in England were supported because someone noticed they needed help. 

We understand people’s concerns about reporting, but it is likely that your report could form a part of a bigger picture. If we all involve ourselves now, we all help prevent risk for children and young people in the future. If you are worried about reporting, please visit our myth-busting page to help dispel any concerns you may have about speaking out.

What do we do

We have a duty to investigate any concerns about a child aged under 18 who lives in the borough or who is 'looked after' by the Local Authority, who may be in need of protection from physical, sexual or emotional abuse or from neglect.

More guidance can be found on the Bromley Safeguarding Children Board website.

In most cases, an investigation of concerns about a child leads to the provision of help or services to the child and his/her family.

In extreme cases it could mean the removal of the child into the care of the Local Authority.

In some cases it may lead to the development of a child protection plan in which all the agencies involved with the family work together to protect the child. The plan is co-ordinated by Children's Social Care and led by a lead social worker.

Further information

All statutory and voluntary agencies in the borough who provide services to children may participate in a child protection plan; for example, Health Service providers, the Police and local schools. All such agencies operate under the guidance of the London Child Protection procedures and Working Together to Safeguard Children.

All organisations should have a child protection policy; including a statement on, and guidelines about, keeping children safe. A good organisation will welcome questions about their activities and the safety of their environment. For further information and general advice about child protection please visit the NSPCC website.

Children's referral and assessment team


Tel: 020 8461 7373 / 7379 / 7026

Fax: 020 8313 4400

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH