Further education travel assistance

Students who have left school but are continuing in full-time education at a further education establishment may be entitled to travel assistance.

Who can get assistance

To be eligible to apply for Further Education Travel Assistance, students or their parents must be receiving child benefit AND either:

  • DSS Income Support/Income-based Jobseekers Allowance, or
  • Working Tax Credit, or
  • Child Tax Credit only with a gross annual income not exceeding £16,190, or
  • housing benefit.

You must send us recent written proof of benefit entitlement when you first apply, and again before the start of each subsequent term.

Students must also:
  • have to travel more than three miles to follow a particular course at the nearest available college;
  • be ordinarily resident in the London Borough of Bromley before the start of the academic year;
  • be under 19 on 31 August in the year the course begins;
  • have been ordinarily resident in the British Islands for the three years immediately prior to the start of the course;
  • be attending a full-time course lasting at least one academic year.

Where a course is available within the Borough, students must apply for that course first, unless the proposed course is available at a college nearer to the student's home. Assistance is not normally offered towards repeat level study or for courses held at private establishments. Students should normally be attending courses such as BTECs, GNVQs, AVCEs, Foundation Art, City & Guilds or A levels.

Further information can be found in our policy document.


  • Applications must reach the Authority before the end of the first term of the course.
  • Travel assistance is paid by the cheapest reasonable means using student season ticket and discounted rates.
  • Students should contact their proposed college for advice as to possible additional/alternative sources of funding.

Next steps

Contact us and ask for a copy of the travel assistance application form to be posted to you.


Contact the Further Education Travel Assistance team


Tel: 020 8313 4044

Fax: 020 8313 4089

Civic centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH