Registering to vote

How to register

To be able to vote your name must be included on the register of electors.

Between August and October every year, by law, we prepare a new register of electors.  This is known as the annual canvass.

If you have not yet registered or have moved home recently you can download a registration form between December and August or obtain a form by contacting us.

There are special arrangements for your registration if you are

  • a member of the armed forces (or partner),
  • a Crown Servant,
  • a British council employee,
  • other overseas elector,

please see the information below.

If you are a

  • patient in a mental hospital
  • remand prisoner 
  • homeless person

please contact us for further information.