Challenging a Penalty Charge Notice and making representations

If you wish to dispute a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN), please do not make payment at this stage.

You can:

You can also view the photographs taken at the time of the contravention. 

You can normally use our online services to make your challenge/ representation or view photographs within 24 hours of the issue of the PCN.

The appeal process

Your PCN was issued in one of the following ways

  • parking contravention PCN issued in person by a civil enforcement officer
  • bus lane contravention PCN issued by post following CCTV evidence
  • parking contravention PCN issued by post following CCTV evidence.

The appeal process is governed by legislation which differs according to the method used to issue the PCN. You can challenge the PCN in the first two cases above, and make a formal representation for the third.  For more information, please see our pages below on the different appeal processes that apply according to how the PCN was issued.

When we receive your appeal, it will be logged as a challenge or formal representation (depending on how the penalty was issued and/or how far it has progressed). We will ensure that the case does not progress further and then write to you in due course to let you know the outcome and how much money is due, if any.

If you receive a Charge Certificate, it is too late for you to make a challenge or formal representation.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your challenge or formal representation, you may choose to appeal to the independent Parking Adjudicator at the Parking and Traffic Appeals Service.

Alternatively, there are several ways to pay a PCN.

The leaflet How we consider your appeal gives more information about the appeal process and how we are likely to deal with your appeal.