Advice about using a tree surgeon
Before you carry out work to trees, please check if:
- the trees are protected by a Tree Preservation Order
- you live in a Conservation Area
- you need a felling licence.
We recommend obtaining at least two written quotations (these are usually free) and a statement of insurance cover. If you have any doubts about a company's insurance, ask to see the policy and receipts to confirm up-to-date cover. To get competitive prices you will need to be clear about the following:
- What work is required
- Disposal of debris - do you want the contractor to do this for you or can it be disposed of on site? Most contractors have chippers, which makes disposal easier
- If you are keeping large pieces of timber, do you want them cut into logs and if so what size?
- If you are having a tree removed do you want the stump removed? Most contractors have stump grinders but all can arrange it for you. Remember this will add to the cost
- Is the contractor NPTC qualified (National Proficiency Tests Council)?
Tel: 020 8313 4516 / 020 8313 4515
Fax: 020 8313 0095
Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH