If you wish to collect donations for a charity on the street or house to house, you will need to contact the Metropolitan police and they will supply you with badges and a certificate, which our enforcement officers may request to see.
To ensure your donations reach the cause of your choice here are a few guidelines:
- check the collector is wearing an official signed badge and not a photocopy.
- make sure the collection box has a slot for the donation with the name of the charity on it. Avoid collectors with open buckets or other open containers.
- be wary of collectors dressed as doctors, nurses or vicars.
- never donate by buying a ticket with a chance of winning a foreign holiday. Hardly any of the money reaches the charity.
- be wary of professional charity collectors, who are paid to persuade - make sure the charity is genuine.