Key stage 1 (KS1) courses
Winter celebration (KS 1)*
This course is only run for the last three weeks of the winter term. Reminders will be sent in autumn but it is advisable to book early to secure a place.
This is a truly cross-curricular course. Using a wide range of teaching methods the origins of Christmas are examined. The scene is set by stories around the Christmas tree, a trail around High Elms then highlights the importance of evergreens in our celebrations and a collection of natural material completes the morning activities, ready for the creation of decorations in the afternoon.
- Discussion of Christmas present and influences from the past
- Stories looking back at past local events around this time of year
- Winter Trail through the woodlands focussing on the significance of evergreen plants in our Winter Celebrations
- Collection of natural materials
- Decorations made out of the collected materials
National Curriculum links
Early Learning Goal (ELG):
Personal, social and emotional - sense of community
Knowledge and understanding of the world - designing and making skills
Sense of place - find out about past and present events in their own lives and in those of their families and other people they know
Attainment Target (AT) 2: 2g, 3a, 4b, 5c
AT 3: 1a, b, c, 2a
AT 4: 3a, b
Qualification and Curriculum Authority (QCA) relevance
Science units: 1A, 1B, 1C, 1D, 1F, 2B, 2C, 2D, 3F
Minimum of 2 classes required for the half day option.