Key stage 2 (KS2) courses
Winter celebration (KS 2)*
This course is only run for the last three weeks of the winter term. Reminders will be sent in autumn but it is advisable to book early to secure a place.
This is a truly cross curricular course. Using a wide range of teaching methods the origins of Christmas are examined. The scene is set by stories around the Christmas tree, a trail around High Elms then highlights the importance of evergreens in our celebrations and a collection of natural material completes the morning activities, ready for the creation of decorations in the afternoon.
- Discussion of Christmas present and influences from the past
- Stories looking back at past local events around this time of year
- Winter Trail through the woodlands focussing on the significance of evergreen plants in our Winter Celebrations
- Collection of natural materials
- Decorations made out of the collected materials
National Curriculum links
AT 2: 3a, 3b, 3c, 3d
AT 3: 5a, 5b
AT 4: 4a, 4b, 4c, 4d
Qualification and Curriculum Authority (QCA) relevance:
Science units: 3F, 4B, 5E
Geography units: 9
Run as a half day course the making of decorations could be done under the visiting teachers control using the centre classroom, or back at school. Minimum of 2 classes required for the half day option.
New: we also run a Victorian Christmas course, please phone or email for details.