Waste4fuel land deal complete

Published Monday, 19 September 2016

A land deal which will finally allow work to remove the rubbish mountain on the former Waste4fuel site in Orpington to begin, has now been successfully completed.

The breakthrough follows months of complicated negotiations between the Environment Agency and the former landowner, brokered by Bromley Council, who had previously announced the deal ‘in principle’ last month. 

As the council now owns both the land and the access road leading to it,  work to remove the waste will start shortly, following several weeks of careful logistical planning by the council’s waste contractor, Veolia, as how best to tackle the massive task in hand. 

“The council is absolutely delighted to have achieved this result and to now be able to deliver on our long standing promise to local residents. This is truly a red letter day for those worst affected and I am thrilled for them all. There have been many twists and turns, disappointments and bumps along the way, but we have remained resolutely focussed throughout and for the first time are now in the position to be able to tackle the task which has caused so much unhappiness for so long, namely removing this disgusting blot from the Cray landscape forever" said Councillor Colin Smith, Deputy Leader for Bromley Council. 

Councillor Smith added, “We will shortly be writing to those most immediately affected by the impending works to keep them informed as to key operational dates and other possible issues of local interest as the project develops."

Sir James Bevan, Environment Agency Chief Executive, said, “Our Environment Agency team have been working for years to resolve this issue. I visited the site and saw for myself the misery this has caused for local residents. It will be welcome news to them that these complicated negotiations have finally come to a satisfactory conclusion. We will support London Borough of Bromley to get the site cleared as soon as possible.” 

The estimated total cost of securing the land and clearing the rubbish mound is estimated to be £2.7million, with the Environment Agency securing much of the funding and the council contributing £300k. 

The site, which has continued to be a fire risk, has seen the Environment Agency work in partnership with the council with the firm resolve to find a permanent solution to this exceptional problem.  

The site in Cornwall Drive, located near to housing and the A20 Sidcup By Pass, is an exceptional case and has been the scene of repeated fires.  Work to remove waste associated with this ongoing fire risk would then be able to go-ahead, removing the need for the Environment Agency and the London Fire Brigade to continue to regularly monitor and inspect the site.  This work would also address the long-running concern and nuisance experienced by local residents. 

ENDS

For media enquiries, please contact Andrew Rogers, Communications Executive, on 020 8461 7670 or email andrew.rogers@bromley.gov.uk