Blue Badge misuse – fourteen motorists prosecuted
Published Friday, 26 January 2018
Fourteen more drivers have been prosecuted and ordered to pay fines totalling £7,484 including court costs and surcharges after being caught misusing a Blue Badge in the absence of the badge holder.
Since the start of the Blue Badge misuse campaign launched in 2016, designed to stop abuse and protect the integrity of the scheme, a total of sixty-nine drivers have now been prosecuted for misusing a Blue Badge. The latest prosecutions follow incidents which took place between May and October 2017.
Councillor Huntington-Thresher, Executive Councillor for Environment said; “The startling fact in all of these prosecutions is that all of these motorists were relatives of the Blue Badge holder. We know that only a small minority of relatives are abusing the Blue Badge scheme but this abuse has to stop as it undermines the confidence we all have in the scheme and crucially, deprives Blue Badge holders from getting the parking space they actually need.”
Councillor Huntington-Thresher continued; “Stronger signage will be in place throughout the borough very soon and I would urge relatives, friends or anyone who drives on behalf of a badge holder to take heed. Please make sure you and anyone else who drives on behalf of a badge holder know the rules before displaying a Blue Badge, as daily checks are continuing across the borough and further prosecutions will follow.”
All fourteen drivers were found guilty. Mr Ron Cleverley of Cumberland Road, Bromley, parked in Station Approach car park in Hayes. He initially informed the inspecting officer that he had dropped the badge holder off and she had just got on a train with her wheelchair. Later however, he admitted the offence stating that he used the badge as he did not have change and was running late for his train.
Three other drivers; Mrs Yuet Ying Lo of Pardoner Street, Southwark, Mrs Christine Good of Vigo Road, Sevenoaks and Miss Elaine Decambre of Chaucer Green, Croydon, all informed the inspecting officer at the scene that the badge holder was with them, but later admitted that they had used the badge for their own benefit.
Mrs Janet White, who displayed a Blue Badge in the absence of her mother, failed to attend her initial hearing. The case was adjourned and when she failed to attend a trial set for a later date, the case was proven in her absence.
Three more drivers; two females from Orpington and Sevenoaks and a male from Croydon were also caught displaying Blue Badges in the absence of a child relative.
Details of the remaining drivers found guilty of using a Blue Badge in the absence of the badge holder were; Mr Charles Kone, of Gables Close, Camberwell, Mr Dax Lingham of Bruce Grove, Orpington, Mrs Avril Steer of Old Tye Avenue, Biggin Hill, Mrs Gulten Elmaz of Brightling Road, Ladywell, Mrs Gwendy Brightman of Kempton Walk, Croydon and Miss Jacqueline Wilkins of Pembroke Road, Bromley.
Blue Badge misuse is a criminal offence which can lead to a £1,000 fine and confiscation of the badge. Anyone who suspects that a blue badge is being used for the benefit of a person who is not the badge holder can report their concerns at: www.bromley.gov.uk/reportbluebadge
For media enquiries, please contact Andrew Rogers, Communications Advisor, on 020 8461 7670 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Magistrates Court where each case was heard is indicated below by ‘Bromley’ for Bromley Magistrates or ‘Bexley’ for Bexley Magistrates. The hearing/trial dates are in brackets.
Postal guilty pleas from defendants and fines imposed:
- Mr Ron Cleverley – £50 fine, £150 court costs, £30 surcharge; total £230. Bromley (22/11/17)
- Mrs Yuet Ying Lo – £130 fine, £200 court costs, £30 surcharge; total £360. Bromley (10/01/18)
- Mrs Christine Good - £130 fine, £200 court costs, £30 surcharge; total £360. Bromley (10/01/18)
- Mrs Gulten Elmaz - £160 fine, £150 court costs, £30 surcharge; total £340. Bromley (10/01/18)
- Mrs Avril Steer - £80 fine, £200 court costs, £30 surcharge; total £310. Bromley (06/12/17)
- Mr Dax Lingham - £293 fine, £300 court costs, £30 surcharge; total £623. Bromley (06/12/17)
Trials proven in defendants’ absence and fines imposed:
- Female driver from Orpington - £440 fine, £1,200 court costs, £44 surcharge; total £1,684. Bexley (30/10/17)
- Mrs Janet White - £440 fine, £600 court costs, £44 surcharge; total £1,084. Bromley (20/12/17)
Court hearings attended by defendants and fines imposed:
- Miss Elaine Decambre - £130 fine, £200 court costs, £30 surcharge; total £360. Bromley (10/01/18)
- Female driver from Sevenoaks - £130 fine, £200 court costs, £30 surcharge; total £360. Bromley (10/01/18)
- Male driver from Croydon - £200 fine, £300 court costs, £30 surcharge; total £530. Bromley (22/11/17)