Biggin Hill Airport operating hours application received
Published Friday, 28 November 2014
A proposal to vary the operating hours at Biggin Hill Airport has been received by the council.
As outlined in their consultation, which saw 15,000 local people respond, Biggin Hill Airport Limited (BHAL) are proposing a change in operating hours and a plan to reduce noise. The new proposed operating hours are 06.30 to 23.00 hours, Monday to Saturday and 08.00 to 23.00 hours on Sundays and public holidays. The council also understands from the proposal that there would be no more than:
- 8 movements in the first half hour of the day, Monday to Saturday, excluding public holidays
- 8 movements in the last hour of the day
This compares with the current operating hours, which are 06.30 to 22.00 hours, Monday to Friday and 09.00 to 20.00 on Saturday, Sunday and public holidays.
Councillor Stephen Carr, Leader of Bromley Council said, “We will consider this proposal carefully as we have each and every application that we have received in the past. Residents will remember that the council originally purchased the airport to ensure that its airport use continues and to protect residents’ interests. Whilst the council is a landlord, it is also a publicly accountable organisation and we felt it right for transparency reasons to confirm we have received this application.”
Councillor Carr added, “We are not permitted to share everything about this application now but we will share more information and consult with residents in due course."
Residents and groups who want to contact the council and comment can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The current operating hours prohibit landings before 07.30 hours and departures after 21.00 hours Monday to Friday except for aircraft based at the airport which can depart between 06.30 and 07.30 and land between 21.00 and 22.00 which is sometimes referred to as the ‘shoulder’ period. In their application, BHAL propose new restrictions which Monday to Friday, between 06.30 and 07.00, would restrict movements to no more than 8 in this period, with the same cap applying between 22.00 and 23.00 hours. In addition, piston engine light aircraft (except military/medical flights) would not be permitted between 06.30 and 07.00 hours and between 22.00 and 23.00 hours. The same timed restrictions to movements would also apply on Saturday, with no fly training before 09.00 or after 17.00 hours. On Sunday, the cap of 8 movements would apply between 22.00 and 23.00 hours, with piston engine aircraft not permitted between 22.00 and 23.00 hours, with no fly training before 09.00 or after 17.00 hours.
- The original consultation, including all the proposals and results can be found at: http://www.bigginhillfuture.co.uk/
- Biggin Hill Airport is let to Biggin Hill Airport Limited (BHAL) for 125 years by a lease dated 6 May 1994. The use permitted by the lease is restricted to specific aviation uses including, in particular, business aviation. While hired air taxis do fall within that use, flights for the use of fare paying passengers are not permitted. The hours of operation of the airport are also restricted by the lease.
For media enquiries, please contact Andrew Rogers, Communications Advisor, on 020 8461 7670 or email email@example.com