We aim to make sure that children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) receive social care services that match their level of need and that they and their families or carers are fully involved in helping us to plan for them.

Learn more about how children and young people up to 25 years with SEND and their families are supported by social care services in Bromley.

Children’s disability service 0 – 18 yrs

The children’s disability service combines the children’s disability team and children’s occupational therapy team.

The children’s disability team is a specialist team of social workers, social work assistants, a specialist information officer and business support.

Our team support families with children aged 0 - 18 who have a severe, profound or complex disability that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on them, this includes children and young people with severe learning and/or physical disabilities, Autism Spectrum Condition, complex health issues, and severe hearing, vision and communication difficulties.

Short breaks for children and young people

Our short breaks service provides opportunities for children and young people with disabilities to relax and have fun away from their families or main carers. Find out more about the range of breaks and options available and how to request an assessment for them.

Universal, targeted and specialist services explained

Universal, targeted and specialist are terms applied to services available for children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

Find out more about the services and what the terms mean

Parent/carer and family support

Breaks for parents and carers

If you’re a full-time carer or spend a lot of time caring for someone, it's important to make time for yourself. Find out about the support available for parents and carers to take a break.

Parent/carers needs assessment

If you’re an adult who is caring for a child or young person with SEND you may be eligible for an assessment of your needs in addition to those of the person that you care for. Find out more about the Parent/carer needs assessments

Support for adult carers

When your child becomes 18 your role will change from being a parent to being a parent carer. Learn more about the support available to you and the process to accessing an assessment of your needs.  Find out about support for adult carers

Support for young carers

If you are a child or young adult under 18 with caring responsibilities for a family member or a friend then you are a young carer, and there is support available for young carers.

Occupational therapy for children 0 - 18 years

Helping you to look at the things you might need to remain independent at home, to manage your everyday living needs or to make caring easier for you or your family. Find out about occupational therapy for children.

Bromley Children Project

The Bromley Children Project is a borough wide service that supports families living in Bromley to create a safe, secure and happy environment for all children. 

16+ leaving care team and leaving care local offer

The 16+ leaving care team provides help and support to children and young people who are 16 or older and looked after by our social services and leaving care. The care leavers local offer website provides comprehensive information about the range of services in place for children and young people coming into care, living in care and leaving care.

Moving to adult services 18+

We are committed to making the move to adult services clear and easy for young people. Find out about transition to adult care

Bromley Safeguarding Board

Safeguarding is everybody’s business, learn about the Bromley Safeguarding Children Partnership and how we work together in Bromley to keep children and young people safe

Adult social care and early adult intervention

Our adult early intervention service is the main access point for people wanting to contact adult social care services either about themselves or someone else. They provide support to people over the age of 18 who need community care services.

Social care law

Mental Capacity Act

Childrens & Families Act and Care Act factsheet

The Children Act 2004

Mental Health Act code of practice

The young persons guide to the Children & Families Act 2014 

Care Act factsheets