08: Royal Bell Hotel

Description A stop on the Bromley North Village heritage trail
Location High Street
Built/designed Built 1898, designed by Ernest Newton, an important Arts and Crafts movement architect, who designed houses in Bickley and Chislehurst
History The Bell Inn posting house, demolished 1897, can be traced back to the 17th century when a parliamentary survey of the Manor was planned there in 1646. At the end of the 18th century, two coaches ran daily to and from London.
Did you know? The Bell was granted the prefix 'Royal' after royal coaches began changing horses there - on these occasions stablehands put on scarlet uniforms. In Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice', Lady Catherine de Bourgh recommends that Elizabeth changes horse at 'The Bell in Bromley'.
Image Image for <?php print encodeHtml($field->title); ?> directory
More information The Royal Bell forms part of a group of three buildings designed as a whole. Hunters the Jewellers, 181 High Street, is the only shop in Bromley to retain its original shopfront. No. 179 was originally Martins Bank - circular date motifs on two leaded bays still show 'M' and the date 1898
Continue walk Walk north along the High Street taking note of the vernacular buildings to the right at Nos 189-193.

Search the directory

Distance