Health support - children with disabilities and learning needs

Emotional wellbeing and mental health

In a medical emergency call 999. If you are seriously ill, physically injured or have urgent and immediate concerns about your own mental health or that of a child or young person don’t delay, please seek support as soon as you can.

Getting help in a mental health crisis

In the first instance contact your GP (general practitioner/doctor) who may be able to help you with your physical or mental health problems. If necessary, your GP will refer you to Bromley’s community mental health services.

In an emergency you should go to the Accident and Emergency (A&E) department of your local hospital.

Mental Health Crisis Line: 0800 330 8590 (24 hour service)

The crisis line is a 24hr telephone service for residents of Bexley, Bromley and Greenwich who may be experiencing a mental health crisis. The crisis line provides an opportunity to talk to a mental health professional about your mental health crisis and provides advice and information for carers, family and friends who may know someone experiencing a mental health crisis.

Looking after your child or young person’s mental health

Some children and young people may have enjoyed being off school, while others may have struggled with the way the coronavirus outbreak has changed their routines or the way they interact with family and friends. Others may be coming to terms with family problems, loss or changes to their living situation.

If you have concerns about your child or young person’s emotional wellbeing or mental health you should speak to your GP or school/college SENCO who can help you to make a referral to our partners at Bromley Community Wellbeing (Bromley Y).

You can also contact Bromley Y directly to self-refer via telephone on 0203 770 8848 or by completing their referral form.

In partnership with Bromley Council and Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust, Bromley Y hosts the Community Wellbeing Service, a single point of access to emotional and wellbeing services and specialist child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS) in Bromley – for young people up to the age of 18.

Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)

Bromley specialist community CAMHS (Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust) provides specialist mental health consultation, assessment and treatment to children and young people aged 0-18 with severe and enduring emotional, behavioural and mental health difficulties, and their families/carers. 

Bromley Community Learning Disability Team (CLDT)

Provides specialist community health services to local people over the age of 18 with learning disabilities, complex physical health needs, mental health care needs, epilepsy and positive behavioral support.

All referrals are subject to the team’s eligibility criteria. If you would like to discuss a referral, please contact the team on 020 3871 5680

SLAM – The South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust provide the widest range of NHS mental health services in the UK. They also provide substance misuse services for people who are addicted to drugs and alcohol, and support to those with eating disorders.

If you need urgent help please call 0800 731 2864 to speak to our mental health crisis line. Please also see our guidance and information for getting help in a crisis.

Additional help and support for your child or young person

NHS – Every Mind Matters offering tips for supporting children and young people with their return to school, encouraging their interests, managing their emotions or behaviour and encouraging them to talk about how they feel. 

Anna Freud National Centre for Children and Families online resources, tips, activities and strategies for children, young people, parents and carers coping with anxiety and worries.

B-Eat - An online resource focusing on eating disorders. Information and advice available for children and young people.

BBC Radio 1 Advice - Find advice and straight facts on a range of issues faced by young people. This site is aimed at young people.

Barnardo’s See Hear Respond – Support Hub  online support, including advice and information, online counselling and a telephone helpline. 

Big White Wall - A safe online community of people who are anxious, down or not coping who support and help each other by sharing what’s troubling them, guided by trained professionals.

Books Beyond Words – Wordless books that help people to understand what to do if you have coronavirus and how to keep yourself and those who you care about safe.

BullyingUK - Find out how you can deal with bullying - including bullying at school or work, cyberbullying, or general advice on bullying.

CAMHS Ready - An online tool to help young people and their families that makes sure that they get the most out of their first visit to a CAMHS service.

CASPA Bromley - CASPA provides advice, support and life skill development opportunities for children, young people and families affected by autism.

ChildLine - Information on an issues including anxiety, family relationships, and self-harm. This site is aimed at children and young people.

HeadScape - Designed for young people, by young people. Find information, see how you feel and if you need help with your emotions.

Kooth Offers an online counselling and emotional well-being platform for children and young people up to the age of 25 particularly aimed at supporting young people including Care Leavers, children with SEND, youth offending, young people not in employment, education or training and those stepping down from CAMHS; accessible through mobile, tablet and desktop and free at the point of use.

If you’re a parent looking for more information about Kooth, please email

MindEd - A free educational resource on children and young people’s mental health for all adults, whether parents, families or professionals.

Rethink - Information for young people about mental health and emotional wellbeing, with tips and advice.

Samaritans - Advice and reassurance for young people thinking about contacting the Samaritans -  and contact details.

The Maypole Project  Provide emotional support, befriending and counselling to children with complex medical needs/disabilities and their families across Bromley Borough, also south east London and into Kent.

The Mix - Information  and advice on feelings, mental health and wellbeing for young people, and list of services.

YoungMinds - Information for young people and children about mental health and emotional wellbeing, and links to some services.

Looking after your own mental health

Parenting or caring for a child or young person can be tough. It's important to make sure you look after your own mental wellbeing, as this will help you support yourself and those you care about. Remember you are not alone, the services listed here are designed to help and support you through these challenging times.

Talk Together Bromley

Offer a range of free and confidential talking therapies and support for adults over the age of 18 in the borough of Bromley, who are registered with a Bromley GP. You can refer yourself by either by calling 0300 003 3000 or completing their online self-referral form.

Bromley Well Mental Health & Wellbeing Service provides support to adults (18+) and their families or carers who may be experiencing mild concerns relating to their emotional and mental wellbeing, through information and advice, and peer support.

Referrals to this service is through a single point of access by phone on 0300 330 9039 or email at:

Find the Bromley Well Mental Wellbeing Easy read information leaflet here

Additional help and support for parents and carers

Young Minds Parents Helpline - is available to offer advice to parents and carers worried about a child or young person under 25. Phone: 0808 8025544

NHS Moodzone If you're feeling stressed, anxious or depressed, or just want to feel happier, we're here to help this NHS site can help with a mood self-assessment check and mental wellbeing audio guides

Need more help?

Contact the Information, Advice and Support Service for free, impartial information, advice and support for parents and carers of children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). Support is also offered to children and young people with SEND. They can also help provide information in a non-web format.