Health support - children with disabilities and learning needs

Hearing impairments

Specialist support and services available for children who have hearing impairment.

Who should I talk to?

New-born babies will have a hearing screen done by maternity services. For children under 5 years, please contact your GP or Special Education Needs Coordinator (SENCO) or Health Visitor if the child is under 2 years and 6 months. For children over 5 years please contact your GP or SENCO.
Occupational Therapy and Speech and Language Therapy service may become involved with all these groups of children. However, the involvement will be based on the child’s need rather than their medical diagnosis.

Deaf Access (part of deafPlus)

Deaf Access provides a range of advice and support to people with a hearing impairment. Their services include:

  • Advocacy
  • Hearing Aid battery and tubing clinic
  • Equipment
  • Money Advice Service
  • BSL practice classes and workshops
  • Hard of Hearing group
  • Lip-reading classes

Hearing Assessment Service

The Hearing Assessment Service is a specialist service run by Bromley Healthcare that offers hearing assessment for babies, children and young people (up to 19 years of age if still in school) who may be at risk of having a hearing loss or who have failed a hearing test. The service is for children who have failed a basic hearing test.
The aim is to identify severe hearing loss at the earliest possible age so that your child can get a hearing aid, referral to speech and language therapy or to teachers for the hearing impaired, if necessary. An early appointment with an ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist through a joint clinic for anyone who might benefit from surgery.
To use this service you’ll need a referral from your doctor (GP), nurse, a teacher or other professional. If you are concerned about your child’s hearing you should first speak to one of these people, who may do a basic hearing test to see if there is a problem.

Sensory support service

The sensory support service works with babies, children and young people from the time a visual or hearing difficulty is diagnosed. In the early years the teams support families through the difficult times when a visual or hearing impairment is first diagnosed, as well as monitoring and advising as to how to help their child develop appropriately. Ideas for play activities and toys are given.

Once the child starts at pre-school or school the teams enable pupils with sensory impairment to have the best possible access to the curriculum and school life whilst meeting needs which are specific to their sensory impairment. Parents or carers, and close family members can contact the service directly. Referrals can also be sent by professionals, such as health visitors or pre- schools. More informatiion about the sensory support service.

Loan equipment for the home

Specialist equipment for deaf children is available via Bromley Council for their home as a loan. All eligible children will require an assessment to be completed. To apply for the equipment, please contact  our adult early intervention service team, email or call 020 8461 7777.

Need more help?

Contact the information, advice and support service for free, impartial information, advice and support for parents and carers of children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). Support is also offered to children and young people with SEND. They can also help provide information in a non-web format.