Health support - children with disabilities and learning needs

Visual impairments

Information about what specialist support and services are available for children who have visual impairment.

Who should I talk to?

For children under 5 years, please contact your GP or Special Education Needs Coordinator (SENCO) or Health Visitor if the child is under 2 years and 6 months. For children over 5 years please contact your GP or SENCO.

Find an optician

The SeeAbility database provides details of optometrists and dispensing opticians who have shared information on their services for people with learning disabilities. You can search on town or postcode within a range from 5 to 50 miles. 

Kent Association for the Blind

Kent Association for the Blind provides information, advice and guidance for children and families and registration as sight impaired or severely sight impaired

Sensory support service

The sensory support service works with babies, children and young people from the time a visual or hearing difficulty is diagnosed.

 In the early years the teams support families through the difficult times when a visual or hearing impairment is first diagnosed, as well as monitoring and advising as to how to help their child develop appropriately. Ideas for play activities and toys are given.

Once the child starts at pre-school or school the teams enable pupils with sensory impairment to have the best possible access to the curriculum and school life whilst meeting needs which are specific to their sensory impairment.

Parents or carers, and close family members can contact the service directly. Referrals can also be sent by professionals, such as health visitors or pre-schools.

Need more help?

Contact the Information, Advice and Support Service for free, impartial information, advice and support for parents and carers of children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). Support is also offered to children and young people with SEND. They can also help provide information in a non-web format.