Preparing for adulthood education and employment

Preparing for and finding employment

Planning to help young people with SEND to prepare for post -16 education, employment or training, is known as “transition planning” which should start at your annual review meeting when you are 14 years old and in Year 9 at school.   

As a young person with an EHC Plan and someone with SEN support in school you will have access to careers advice from within the school, whether it is a mainstream or special school.  

You will be asked what you  would like to do in the future and what will need to be put in place to help you achieve your goals. You and your family will be at the centre of these discussions to ensure your wishes are included and that any support meets your needs.

It is important to talk about any work experience or work placement opportunities that might be available to you.  Many young people will have access to some courses/experiences at a local college as part of a taster session, or as part of a programme of familiarisation visits.

Staying on at school

You may choose to continue your education at the school you currently attend if it has post-16 provision. The school will already know what extra help you need and can continue to support you, but now following a post-16 curriculum.

Post 16 education - further education colleges and providers

You could decide to carry on your studies at a local further education (FE) college. There are many organisations in and around Bromley who can offer training courses that can support you towards independence and employment and build on your skills and interests. 

Many colleges offer courses that are three or four days a week.  You may need to contact social care to help and/or give you advice on the days when you are not at college. 

Other things you could be doing in the local community include volunteering or taking part in leisure activities and meeting with friends.

Supported internships

Supported internships are for young people aged 16 — 24 with learning difficulties or learning disabilities, who want to get a job and need extra support to do this. To be eligible you need an Education Health and Care Plan.

They are structured study programs based with an employer. They allow young people aged 16 to 24 with an education, health and care (EHC) plan to work their way to getting paid employment by giving them with the skills they need for work, through learning in a real workplace.

Supported internships are unpaid and last for a minimum of six months. Wherever possible, they support you to move into paid employment at the end of the programme. 

Alongside their time at the employer, young people complete a personalised study programme which might include the chance to study for relevant substantial qualifications, if appropriate, and english and maths.


A traineeship is a course with work experience that gets you ready for work or an apprenticeship. It can last up to six months. You won't be paid, but your employers can sometimes give you expenses for things like travel and meals. Traineeships prepare you for future careers by helping you to become ready for work. Traineeships last from six weeks to six months, and are tailored to your individual career needs
They offer:

  • work preparation training — gives you the skills and confidence needed for an apprenticeship or the first step in your career
  • skills you need to find a job — employers are at the centre of traineeships, so they focus on your skills and future success in employment
  • maths and english support — developing the skills you need for the workplace and boosting your job prospects, your long-term career progression, and earning potential
  •  work experience — you'll get an insight into work, a useful reference, and an exit interview (or even a job interview if a role becomes available) 
  • an improved CV — traineeships give you great experience both practically and on paper


Apprenticeships mean you can earn a salary and gain a qualification at the same time. Apprenticeships combine practical training in a job with study.

As an apprentice you will:  

  • Apprenticeships combine practical training in a job with study.
  • Work alongside experienced staff
  • Gain job-specific skills
  • Study towards a related qualification (usually one day a week)
  • Apprenticeships take one to four years to complete depending on their level

Higher education

If you opt to go to university to continue your education, your school should give you advice about which subjects to study in order to prepare for a degree course and how to apply for university.

Universities should provide additional support for students with SEND. To find out what support is offered at a particular university, visit their website and search for ‘student support’ or ‘disability’.

UCAS is an organisation that also offers advice about the support which should be available to students with disabilities.

Travel and transport

There is no automatic entitlement to free travel assistance and home-to school or college transport beyond compulsory school age (16years).  You may have to pay towards the cost of your transport.  You may be able to apply for a bursary to help with education-related costs, including transport.  If you have an EHC Plan and are moving from school to college, you will have to complete a transport application form available from the college or from the local authority. Your parent or carer can help you with this.

The local authority does not provide travel assistance to work experience placements, medical appointments or other off-site visits; responsibility for this remains with the parents or carer, or school or college as appropriate.
There are a number of schemes and funds to support people of all ages with additional needs to access education, while preparing students to be independent, confident travellers:

  • 16+/18+ Zip Oyster Card
  • 16-19 Bursary Fund
  • Freedom Pass scheme

Further information

Please find more information at our Bromley Local Offer/travel and transport page

Download our PfA pathways guide