Preparing for adulthood independent living

 As a young person with SEND should be encouraged to think about where you might live in the future.  For young people with an education, health and care (EHC) plan, independent living options will be discussed with them as part of their transition planning from Year 9 onwards.
This may seem like a very early time to start; however, it is important that you and your family have good information from the beginning of the transition to adulthood. 

The Year 9 Annual Review is a good opportunity to get information from professionals about housing options so an understanding of what may be possible for young people with SEND is developed.  

Preparing for Adulthood outcomes will also be discussed and agreed in the Year 9 Annual Review.  These are outcomes that the young person is supported to work towards, with a specific focus on developing their independent living skills as much as is possible.  It is important that the outcomes are discussed with theyou and your  family during the Year 9 Annual Review, so that they can be worked on both at school and at home.  

Housing options

Some of the options that might be open to you and that you might want to think about are:

  • Supported living schemes
  • Supported and sheltered housing
  • Housing support for people with learning difficulties
  • The Shared Lives scheme; vulnerable young people and adults may also be able to access the shared lives scheme. This involves finding them a home with a suitable carer so they are able to live more independently and also feel part of a family and a community. They may need support because they have autism, learning disability or other mental health problems. 
  • Social housing – renting a council or housing association property.  It is not always the right option for everyone and many people face a long wait. Priority is always given to those with the greatest housing needs.
  • Support at home for young people with physical disabilities. Provides support at home for young people with physical disabilities via direct payments after an assessment has been carried out by an occupational therapist (OT).  Depending on what needs are identified, the OT may make a referral for a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) to help adapt the home environment and promote the young person’s independence.  If only minor adaptations are required, the family will be advised to purchase the equipment, if it does not fall within the category funded by the local authority. Information and advice will also be given. 

Further information

Download our PfA pathways guide