Travel support for students aged 16 years +

If you're a student aged 16 or over, you may be eligible for transport assistance. For further guidance you can view our SEN transport policy. This policy also gives information about the appeals process to follow where an application for home to school transport is declined.

Apply for SEN transport assistance

Travel grants home to school

Bromley children may be eligible for assistance with travel expenses from home to school.

Travel training

Travel training is offered to young people with SEND who use assisted home to school transport to get to and from sixth form or college. The travel trainers have a clear process to work with SEND young people and their parents to provide skills and confidence that will help them to become independent travellers.

Our travel training coaching is delivered by the Bexley Accessible Transport Scheme (BATS) who will devise a bespoke plan for each learner.

Talk to your SENCo or the person responsible for SEND at college about this training.

See our Travel Training manual

16 – 19 Bursary Fund

You could get a bursary to help with education-related costs if you’re 16 -19yrs


  • studying at school or college (not university) in England
  • on a training course, including unpaid apprenticeships

A bursary is money that you, or your education or training provider, can use to pay for things like:

  • clothing, books and other equipment for your course
  • transport and lunch on days you study or train

Discounted travel on public transport

You could also look into applying for a disabled person's railcard and/or an Oyster Zip card