Preparing for adulthood friends and relationships
Friends relationships and my community
Friendships, relationships and being part of the community are really important to everyone’s quality of life.
During the transition planning, thought is given to what needs to be done to support you to have opportunities to spend time with your friends outside of school and college, to support you to develop and keep friendships and relationships, and to ensure that you can access your local community and feel safe and confident to do so.
These are the outcomes that you will be supported to work towards, with a specific focus on what needs to be done in order to support you to be as independent as is possible. It is important that the outcomes are discussed with you and your family during the Year 9 annual review, so that they can be worked on both at school and at home.
Within the Year 9 annual review, discussions should include:
- Maintaining friends and having supportive relationships
- Contributing to, and being part of, the local community
- Having a ‘voice’
- Independent travel
- Staying safe
If you receive a direct payment from the council as part of your care package, you can use it to help you get involved with your local community.
Discount schemes and passes that young people may be eligible to apply for:
• Disabled Persons Freedom Pass can be used on London buses, London Underground and Overground and National Rail services
• A Disabled Persons Railcard offers one third off rail fares throughout Great Britain for those who are eligible.
Accessible transport options in London
- Transport for London travel mentoring service offers advice on planning journeys with accessible routes, and help for people with mobility scooters and aids on bus services. Mentors will even come along for your first journey
- Zip Oyster lets young people aged 11 to 15 travel for free or at discounted rates.
- 18+ Student Oyster photocard if you're aged 18 or over, a student and living in a London borough, you can get discounted travel with an Oyster photocard.
- Please offer me a seat badge is a free badge and card system aimed at making journeys easier and more comfortable for people with impairments, conditions or illnesses
Please find more travel information at our Bromley Local Offer/travel and transport page