SENDMatters: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Health for children and young people with SEND

It is vitally important that we help to prevent further spread of coronavirus. Please find the latest government guidance and advice and watch the NHS video: Coronavirus - hands, face, space which explains how to keep safe during this time.

You can also visit the NHS England website for the latest updates on shielding, social distancing and assistance for the most vulnerable. 

Dealing with a crisis or medical emergency

In a medical emergency call 999. If you are seriously ill, physically injured or have concerns about your own mental wellbeing or that of a child or young person don’t delay, please seek support as soon as you can. 

Getting help in a mental health crisis

In the first instance contact your GP (general practitioner/doctor) who may be able to help you with your physical or mental health problems. If necessary, your GP will refer you to Bromley’s community mental health services.

In an emergency you should go to the Accident and Emergency (A&E) department of your local hospital.

Bromley GP Alliance Access hubs support Bromley GP practices and their patients by offering additional appointments across Bromley.  The hubs offer evening and weekend appointments for patients registered with Bromley practices. 

Coronavirus (Covid 19) vaccinations

Covid19 Vaccinations for 12 – 15-year olds with underlying health conditions

Children aged 12 to 15 years with specific underlying conditions can now be vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine. Eligible children will be receiving invitations via letter, text message or phone call over the coming weeks. Visit Bromley CYP12-15 Vaccination - South East London CCG for guidance about who is eligible, about the vaccine, and where to find out more about the Bromley vaccination programme 

This COVID-19 Vaccine information pack developed with the support of the London Learning Disability Leadership Network and adapted from the Guys and St Thomas’ supports people with a learning disability around the COVID-19 vaccination and offers easy ready advice and guidance for people with learning disabilities.


Mencap’s new easy read advice pages offer support about how to stay safe and well during the Coronavirus (COVID 19) outbreak. This includes guidance around social distancing and face coverings. 

The Public Health England easy read Covid 19 vaccination guide  will help people with learning disabilities to understand more about the vaccination and how to prepare for it.

Sign language Covid-19 briefings

The Deaf Health Charity: Sign Health has created a playlist of sign language health videos that summarise government coronavirus briefings. You can find more coronavirus explainer videos on the Sign

Other languages

Guidance in other languages –

Planning for urgent care

Coordinate My Care

A free service provided by the NHS that coordinates urgent care for patients. Patients can complete an online Advance Care Planning questionnaire called myCMC which includes the patient’s diagnosis, medical details, resuscitation status, medications and recommendations for the urgent care services to follow in an emergency.

Once completed the plan is approved and is immediately visible to all the urgent care services including 111, out of hours GPs, the ambulance (in their vehicles) and the emergency departments. This way everyone is in the loop with the patient in the middle.

You can find out more on the Coordinate My Care website:

Hospital Passports

If you or your child has a disability that makes it difficult to communicate, you may benefit from having a hospital passport.

Complete a hospital passport to ensure that vital information travels with the child or young person. A hospital passport gives information relating to the person’s medication allergies etc. but also crucial information about how to support them to understand what is happening and how they communicate that they are in pain or distress.

Council for Disabled children Hospital Passport

Me First Hospital Passport 

Bromley Healthcare (BHC) childrens services

Including occupational therapy, audiology, community paediatrics, physiotherapy speech and language therapy.  Find out more about BHC childrens services

Bromley 0 – 19 public health service

The Bromley 0 to 19 public health service offers tailored guidance and support to families and partner services who work with children and young people, through health visitors, school nurses and the family nurse partnership

Bromley’s hospitals and clinics

Find the contact details

Bromley Y

Bromley Y provides a single point of access for emotional and mental health services across the borough. You can find the latest changes to their services on the Bromley Y website.

Specialist service: Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust

Oxleas provide a number of specialist services across the borough, including Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) and the Community Eating Disorder Service. You can find out the latest changes in their services on the Oxleas website.

Specialist service: Maudsley Centre for Child and Adolescent Eating Disorders 

The Maudsley Centre for Child and Adolescent Eating Disorders (MCCAED) is run by South London and Maudsley (SLAM) NHS Foundation Trust. Find out the latest changes in their services on the SLAM website.

Hospitals: King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust

The four hospitals in and around Bromley are run by King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. You can find out the latest changes in their services on the King’s website.