Historic collections - visitor information
Planning your visit
Who can use our service?
Access to our collections is available to everyone, from curious first time visitors to experienced academics.
Only members of Bromley Libraries can access original archive material. Membership of Bromley Libraries is free of charge and open to anyone on production of an accepted form of identity. Find out more information on how to join Bromley Libraries.
Using the searchroom
Both the archives and museum catalogue and the library catalogue are available online. Some archive records are still to be catalogued. If you are unable to find what you are looking for please contact us to discuss your requirements.
- It is recommended that you contact us to order documents in advance of your visit, as items can take time to be retrieved.
- There may be restrictions to accessing certain archive material. Please view our statement on access to restricted material or contact us for further advice about accessing restricted material.
- Lockers are available (£1 coin required as a refundable deposit).
- Use of laptop computers welcome
- Photography: A licence must be purchased and permission must be sought from staff before taking pictures of any archives.
- When there are microfilm copies available of the records they will be produced in preference to original documents in order to protect the condition of the original.
- Archive material is issued one item at a time and material should be returned to the enquiry desk 30 minutes before the library closing time.
- Food and drink is not permitted in the searchroom, however there are many cafes and restaurants in Bromley. Picnics may be taken in to the adjoining gardens.
- You will be asked to accept our care of records user agreement searchroom guidelines and handling guidelines before you are issued with records.