Secondary school admission appeals

If you are not offered a place for your child at your preferred school you have the right of appeal under the School Standards & Framework Act 1998.

All Bromley secondary schools and academies are responsible for their own appeal arrangements. All enquiries regarding appeals should be directed to the individual school/s.

Appeals can only be held when a school is full, having reached its published admissions number (PAN).  A successful appeal means that the school will be required to take the pupil over its admissions number.  Only appeals with exceptional circumstances are ever successful.

Secondary transfer 2017 appeals

You should register your appeal to the Bromley school, direct in writing by Friday 24 March 2017.  The school will provide details of their arrangements at the appropriate time and the appeal will be heard by an independent panel during the Summer term 2017.

Current appeal procedures

The conduct of an Appeals Panel is governed by the DfE School Admission Appeals Code of Practice. This is a summary of current procedures:

  • An appeal must be submitted in writing setting out the grounds on which it is made.
  • Parents must be given the opportunity to attend and speak at the meeting.
  • The appeal will be heard in private and be conducted in an informal atmosphere.
  • The Appeal Panel will weigh-up the case submitted by the parent/care against the case made by the school (which is normally that the school is full and to admit more pupils would cause prejudice).
  • The Appeal Panel’s decision is binding on the Authority and the School. 

 If you consider that the Panel acted improperly or unreasonably in handling your case you can make a complaint to:

Academy Admission Appeal Complaints
Academies Central Unit, Education Funding Agency
8th Floor, Earlsdon Park
Butts Road
Coventry  CV1 3BH

For St Olave’s Grammar School only

The Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771
Coventry CV4 0EH

Independent appeal advice

Advisory Centre for Education (ACE) provides independent appeal advice on their website or via their Freephone helpline 03000 115 142.

Local Government Ombudsman


Tel: 0300 061 0614


PO Box 4771, Coventry, CV4 0EH