Council Tax Support scheme

From 1 April 2013 the national Council Tax Benefit (CTB) scheme was abolished. All councils including Bromley have replaced it with their own local scheme called Council Tax Support (CTS).

Council Tax Support (CTS) is a local welfare benefit which helps working age people on a low income pay their council tax.

There are two types of Council Tax Support:

  • Main Council Tax Support is for people who are on a low income
  • Second Adult Rebate is for people who may not have a partner but who share their home with someone who is over 18, is on a low income and does not pay rent.

Council Tax Support is means tested. This means that we have to take into account your income, savings and investments when deciding whether you are entitled.

The scheme does not apply to retirement age pensioners who continue to receive the same level of support they would have received had the Council Tax Benefit scheme continued.

Current scheme

From 1 April 2016 our scheme has provided working-age claimants with support of up to 75 percent of their council tax liability. Therefore, all working age residents will be required to pay a minimum of 25 percent of their liability.

Any support awarded is credited directly to the council tax account with a new bill issued to confirm the revised amount to pay.

View the Council Tax Support scheme policy document.

Council Tax Support Consultation Report 2019/20 and Council Tax Support Equality Impact Assessment

Contact us to make a claim for Council Tax Support. If you are receiving Council Tax Support, you must tell us straightaway of any changes in circumstances .

Council Tax Support consultation 

We asked for your views whether the minimum working-age contribution for 2020/21 should remain at 25 percent of the residents council tax liability.The consultation has now closed. Thank you to all those who responded.

A summary of the responses to the consultation will be included in a Council Tax Support report due to be considered by the councillors later this calendar year.  The report will be published on the website prior to the meeting.

Council tax


Tel: 0300 303 8670

Fax: 020 8464 8016

PO Box 126, Bromley, BR1 3ZT