Building control regulation approval

Building Notice approval

Before you carry out building works to your home you may need Building Regulation approval.


A building notice (less detailed than full plans procedure) needs to be deposited at least two days before work starts. We do not approve plans that accompany a building notice, but we do inspect work on site for compliance with the regulations. A building notice cannot be used for commercial buildings. This option does not give you the same degree of protection as a full plans approval, and should only be used where the builder is familiar with the relevant regulations.

Examples of suitable uses are as follows:

  • domestic internal alterations;
  • removal of a load-bearing wall;
  • small domestic extension;
  • alterations to domestic drainage;
  • fitting a new load-bearing bay window;
  • replacement windows.

Some buildings are exempt from Building Regulations. See Domestic buildings exempt from Building Control for more information.


Fees vary, you can download a table of charges.

How to apply

Use the Building Notice Application form to apply for a Building Notice and enclose the correct payment.

Building control


Tel: 020 8313 4313

Fax: 020 8313 4604

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH