Demolishing a building?

If you are intending to demolish a building or structure which is over 50 cubic metres in volume, you will need to notify us. Six weeks notice is normally required, although a shorter period will be acceptable provided we have enough time to respond to your notification.

You will also need to apply for planning permission if the building is either in a conservation area or is statutorily listed, regardless of the size of the building. If you are unsure about the process for demolishing your building or need advice, please contact us.


The Building Act 1984 allows for buildings to be demolished but a number of organisations need to be informed so that health and safety requirements can be followed.

For example, we need to be informed of a proposed demolition by letter or by e-mail. Please enclose a map or plan of the site, a description of the extent of the demolition work and the name and address of the demolition contractor. We will respond to a notification with a Notice under Section 80 of The Building Act and inform various agencies including:

If you do not notify us of your intention to demolish a building, we may need to investigate and consider taking legal action.

Building control


Tel: 020 8313 4313

Fax: 020 8313 4604

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH