Paying your council tax

How to pay

Council tax bills for 2021/22 have been sent out. Your first payment is due on 15 April 2021. Followed by payments on the 1st of each month (or the 15th if you have opted to pay by direct debit). 

If you pay by any method other than by direct debit you should pay five days before the due date to allow for postal delivery/bank processing.

Direct Debit

The council prefers this method of payment because the smaller administration costs help to keep your council tax low.

If you wish to join this scheme please complete the direct debit form. You don’t need a MyBromley account to request this. Direct debit payments are collected on the first or fifteenth of every month or the first working day following.

Online payments and accounts

You can pay your council tax online

If you are a council tax payer within the London Borough of Bromley, you could view your council tax account online.

To do this you will need to sign in or register for a MyBromley Account.

Automated Telephone System

If you have a touch key telephone, ring our 24-hour automated telephone payment system on 0300 003 0089 and follow the simple instructions.

Please have to hand

  • your debit card
  • 8-digit reference number shown on your council tax bill
  • pen and paper to note the authorisation number of your payment.

Calls are charged at the local call rate.

Standing Order

Standing order forms can be obtained from your bank or building society. Please make the order payable in accordance with the instalments detailed on your bill to:

HSBC, 40-15-05, London Borough of Bromley General Account 81462822

and quote your eight digit reference number.


Please send cheques and postal orders (no cash) to:

P.O. Box 126, Bromley, BR1 3ZT

  • Please ensure you always quote your reference number on the reverse and include a payment slip.
  • All cheques should be made payable to "London Borough of Bromley".
  • If you require a receipt you should enclose a stamped addressed envelope.
  • If you are paying for more than one account please make sure the reference number and amount for each is clearly shown.

Please do not send post dated cheques as the council cannot accept responsibility for any charges made by your bank resulting from problems with such cheques.

At any bank

By cheque or cash accompanied by a payment slip. Some banks may charge for this service.

Half yearly

You can pay half yearly providing the bill has been issued prior to 31 August. The first instalment should be received no later then one month after the issue date of your bill and the second instalment no later then 30 September of the year of issue.

Informing us about changes to your council tax accounts

Due to the impact of Covid-19 many of our services have had to change to protect both the public and staff. Consequently some of our services are working in different ways and may be subject to change depending on staff availability at this difficult time. Our approach to services for residents and businesses is carefully planned to minimise disruption as much as possible.

For council tax the easiest way to make a change is to go online and either register or login to your MyBromley Account where you can view your bill, register a change of address, apply for discount or exemption or set up or amend a direct debit.

Help if you are struggling to make payments

If you are able to make payment please continue to do so, as public finances both nationally and locally will be stretched over the coming months. We do understand, however, that some customers may struggle to make payments due to the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

We will still issue bills, invoices and reminder letters, but please contact us if you are experiencing difficulty in making payment so that we can agree alternative arrangements with you.  We will take your circumstances into account and agree suitable terms such as rescheduling or delaying payment for up to three months. Please do keep us informed of your circumstances using the revenues and benefits online contact form and we will work with you on this.

If you are having difficulty making payments and for all or other enquiries, please get in touch by completing our revenues and benefits contact form.

We will endeavour to respond as quickly as possible however this is likely to be longer than the usual timescale of 10 days, so please bear with us.

Further help and advice

There are many different independent organisations that can help you if you are having financial problems.