Council tax valuation bands

Appeals against council tax banding

You may appeal against your council tax banding if:

  • you have been liable for your property for less then 6 months and feel that the value at 1 April 1991 would have placed it in a different band
  • you believe that your property's value has altered due to a change in the physical state of the area or the demolition/conversion of part of the property.
  • The band has been set by the Valuation Office Agency within the last 6 months
  • You start or stop using part of the property for business purposes.

General changes in the value of a property since 1 April 1991 are not grounds for appeal. More detailed information can be obtained from the Valuation Officer or by visiting the Valuation Office Agency website.

How to appeal

If you wish to appeal against the banding of your property you should contact the Valuation Officer (not the Council).

Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of Council Tax. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpayment.

Valuation officer

Tel: 03000 501501

Fax: 03000 506631