NHS Test and Trace - support payment

If you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, because you have tested positive for COVID-19 or have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you may be able to get some financial help while self-isolating and if your earnings have reduced because of isolating. 

Help is available only for those with low earnings and who cannot work from home. To be eligible for a payment, you must also be in receipt of an ‘in work benefit’ such as Working Tax Credit, Universal Credit or Housing Benefit.

If you are not in receipt of one of these benefits, or you would not be entitled to Council Tax Support if liable to pay council tax, you will not be eligible for a payment and should not apply. 

More information on who is eligible to apply and how to claim is detailed below.

How much will I get?

If you are contacted by NHS Test and Trace on or after the 28 September 2020, you may be eligible for a test and trace self isolation payment of £500.

When can I apply?

All applications must be made within two weeks of your period of self-isolation ending.

You will not be able to claim for periods of self-isolation that ended before 28 September.

You can apply for two separate periods of isolation but these periods cannot overlap.

When will I get the money?

We aim to pay you within three working days, once we have received the necessary evidence from you, and checked it. You will need to: 

  • agree to comply with the notification from NHS Test and Trace
  • provide your notification from NHS Test and Trace
  • provide proof of your earnings or self-employed income
  • provide proof of address, and bank statement

If you are unable to provide this information along with your application form, we will not be able to consider your claim, and we will not be able to pay you.

Apply for a test and trace support payment

Apply for a test and trace support payment 

Discretionary payment

You may be eligible for a £500 discretionary payment if you meet all the eligibility above, but:

  • you have applied for but do not currently receive Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit
  • you are unable to apply for welfare benefits because you have no recourse to public funds, are on a low income and will face financial hardship as a result of not being able to work while you are self-isolating.

(Note: low income is defined as somebody who would be entitled to Council Tax Support if they were liable to pay council tax).

Apply for a test and trace support payment

If you are unable to complete an application online or you are unable to provide the required evidence alongside your online application, call 0300 303 8670 for additional support.

Your data

As part of the application process you will be asked to give us permission to share your data as we need , check the NHS Test and Trace system to confirm that you have been asked to self-isolate. We may we may need to check any data you provide us against other information that we hold about you, for example any awards of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. We may also receive information from other parties or organisations, or share your data with them to check the accuracy of records. This includes NHS Test and Trace (CTAS) and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). This will enable us to prevent or detect crime, or to protect public funds in other ways where the law allows.

We will also need to provide information to HMRC about any payments we make, as we understand that, where applicable, the payments are subject to tax and National Insurance Contributions. If you are self-employed, you need to declare the payment on your self-assessment tax return.

Read our privacy notice.