Occupational therapy service

The service helps people who have physical disabilities to become as independent and safe as possible within their own homes. It achieves this by enabling them to make the most of their individual ability and/or recommending equipment and adaptations to their property.

Who can use this service

The service is available to people of all age groups who are permanent residents of the London Borough of Bromley and who:

  • have a permanent and substantial disability;
  • experience difficulties with everyday activities of daily functioning within their homes;
  • meet our eligibility criteria for those who are seeking help from social services

Following an assessment of your needs by a social services care manager or social worker you may be referred to the occupational therapy service. A member of the occupational therapy team will visit you at home and assess your ability to carry out everyday tasks. He/she will then discuss with you how to maintain and increase your independence and ensure your safety at home.

This may include:

  • the provision of equipment and/or adaptations to your home;
  • advice about undertaking activities in a different way;
  • a programme of rehabilitation.
  • The occupational therapy worker will provide you with an action summary detailing how these aims can be achieved.

If your property is not suitable to meet your long-term needs, advice and guidance can be given to help you move to a more suitable property. The housing occupational therapist will assess why your current property is unsuitable and what property you require to meet your needs.

The occupational therapy service responds to cases in line with the Care Act 2014. Depending on priority of need your name may be placed on a waiting list. You will be advised by post if this is the case. If you feel your case needs to be reprioritised because your situation has changed within the waiting period please contact the service for advice.


Adaptations to your property can range from simple grab rails to major alterations. Small adaptations and equipment can be provided free of charge, but major adaptations are provided via a grant for which there may be a financial assessment.

Further information

For advice and information about occupational therapy, adaptions and equipment please contact adult social care to arrange an appointment.

Contact adult social care


Tel: 020 8461 7777

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH