Domiciliary and homecare charges

Calculating the charges

To work out your charges we will look at how much income and savings you have, and then make certain allowances and disregard certain things depending on your circumstances. From this we will work out how much you can afford to pay.


This will include welfare benefits, occupational pensions, war pensions and war widows pensions. See the Department for Work and Pensions website.


This includes bank/ building society accounts; National Saving Certificates; premium bonds stocks, shares and unit trusts; savings bonds; trust funds and any other savings you may have. It does not include the value of your home.


These include:

  • personal allowances -  this is to cover daily living costs. The amount is set by the Department of Health and is known as the Minimum Income Guarantee (MIG) 
  • Mobility Allowance and mobility component of Disability Living Allowance and mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - fully disregarded
  • Attendance Allowance/Care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA-Care). If you are not in receipt of a night time care service provided by the council we will disregard the difference between the middle and higher rate
  • daily living component of Personal Independence Payments, we do not disregard the difference between the standard and enhanced rates unless you have an assessed need for night time care which is not being provided by the council. You will need to provide evidence that you are purchasing additional care as part of the appeal process
  • household expenses such as mortgage payments/rent, ground rent/service charge, Council Tax.

No allowances are made for:

  • water rates
  • house contents and life insurance

See the DWP site for Income Support and all other welfare benefit rates.

Disability-related expenditure (DRE)

In addition to the various allowances that are taken into account in assessing your charge, if you have specific expenses in excess of "standard" living costs you may receive a further reduction in your charge for disability related expenses.

Those extra costs you have to pay because of your disability may include for example: extra heating, or the purchase, maintenance and repair of disability related equipment incontinence laundry costs or costs to address sensory impairment. 

The standard rates for DRE are as follows: 

  • £5.65 if you are receiving the low or middle rate of disability living allowance, the standard rate of personal independence payment or the low rate of attendance allowance
  • £11.30 if you are receiving the higher rate of disability allowance, the enhanced rate of personal independence payment or the high rate of attendance allowance

You have the right to appeal if you are unhappy with your DRE allowance.

Where you are making an appeal against the assessed charge on the grounds that your DRE exceeds the allowance included in your financial assessment, evidence of the expenditure should be supplied with the appeal.

Where possible the visiting officer will assess your charge at the end of the visit and tell you what it is and the date it will start.

You will receive a letter confirming the charge. If you have any queries about the amount you have been assessed to pay, you should get in touch with us. If you feel you are being asked to pay more than you can afford you can ask us to review the charge immediately. Full details of the appeals procedures are shown in the contributions policy for non residential care services.  

Contact corporate visiting team


Tel: 020 8603 3552 / 020 8603 3551

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH

Contact financial assessment and management team


Tel: 020 8603 3639

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH