Meals at home
Help with shopping
- Most supermarkets now offer on line ordering and home delivery, check with individual supermarkets.
- CarePlus Bromley is a local charity that provides a free volunteer support service to older people (65+) in the London Borough of Bromley. A team of volunteers provide help with everyday tasks like shopping.
- Milk & More is a service specialised on doorstep delivery.
Meals on wheels service
There are a number of specialist providers of frozen ready meals who will deliver to peoples' homes. They all have an extensive range of meals suitable for all dietary needs including vegetarian, gluten free, ethnic, low fat, soft, pureed and diabetic. Find out more about the providers.
Who can use the service
Anybody may purchase meals from these providers but their services are particularly suited to people who have difficulty in getting to the shops or cooking for themselves from scratch.
If after an assessment of need by a care manager you require meals as part of a wider package of support your care manager may assist with making the initial arrangements on your behalf.
All the specialist providers
- have CRB checked delivery drivers who always carry an official identity card
- will help to pack the meals in your freezer if that is what you want
- can deliver your order the next working day following your initial call
- offer a range of payment methods including paying cash or cheque to the driver, monthly invoice (to you or an advocate) or taking credit and debit cards.
If you feel that you need additional help with the heating of the meals, please contact us and we will be able to advise you about getting assistance.
Equipment to help prepare food
If you have difficulties preparing your meals, there is a range of specially designed equipment that can help. This could be cutlery with 'easy to hold' handles, a kettle tipper to help you to pour hot water or a height-adjustable kitchen trolley so you don’t have to carry heavy things.
We have accredited a number of businesses within the local area to provide advice and to sell small items of equipment, such as kitchen, toileting and bathing equipment, and washing and dressing aids. This accreditation means that they have met the Department of Health standards for the assessment and provision of small aids to daily living.
To achieve accredited status the retailers have also received training from us.
Understanding the impact of different foods and vitamins on your body and mind is important and can help making those tough decisions about what to have for dinner, or whether to have a snack, much easier.
Find out more about eating well on the NHS website
How to prepare and cook food safely
It's important to prepare, cook and store food correctly to minimise the risk of food poisoning, including E. coli.
Find out more about food hygiene on the NHS website