Domiciliary care

Domiciliary care (also known as home care)

Domiciliary care (also known as home care) is a range of care services you can receive in your own home, to help you cope with disability or illness, and to become or remain independent for as long as possible.

Who can get help

Adults aged 18 or over living in the London Borough of Bromley who:

  • have difficulties related to older age, long-term illness or disability or mental health problems
  • following an assessment by a care manager, meet our eligibility criteria for people seeking help from social care services, 

 The aim of home care is to

  • help you keep your independence and remain living at home
  • prevent you having to go into a long-term care home or hospital
  • reduce physical or emotional stress to you and your carer

What help can we provide

Following an assessment of need by a care manager, domiciliary (home) care may be able to provide help at  home with:

  • personal care tasks, such as washing, dressing and using the toilet
  • daily living tasks such as getting up or preparing for bed
  • preparing food or hot drinks

If you are assessed as needing personal care, your service will be provided by personal carers from private agencies, who work under contract to us. 

If you do not meet the criteria for needing personal care from the social care service, a list of care agencies is available in the Adult Care and Support services directory.


Following a financial assessment and depending on your financial circumstances, you may have to pay part of the cost of your home care services.

Under our direct payments scheme, people with long term care needs can make their own arrangements to employ carers and home support workers, instead of social care arranging the care package.  How to access direct payments will be discussed with you by the care manager following your assessment.

You can also make your own private arrangements with a home care agency of your choice, if you do not wish to be assessed by social services.

The Bromley Adult Care and Support services directory is a comprehensive guide to choosing and paying for care in the Bromley area.

Next steps

To ask for an assessment of your need for home care, contact the early intervention service, who will be able to assist you.

The Care Quality Commission (CQC) regulates home care services and copies of their inspection reports are available on their website.