Care homes (residential and nursing care)

Covid-19 support for care homes

We are supporting care homes during Covid-19 with financial help, guidance and advice, as well as supplying PPE. In collaboration with SE London Clinical Commissioning Group and the Bromleag GP Practice, staff and residents in homes registered with the practice have been tested for Covid-19 with appropriate advice given.

As part of the adult social care action plan, the government asked local authorities to provide an update about how we are supporting local care homes.  Read our response and view the care home support return.

What is a residential care home?

All registered residential care homes will provide meals, accommodation and assistance with personal care.  This is a level of support which can no longer be safely provided in an individual’s own home.

In a residential home the care and support needed will be provided by staff employed in the care home and any nursing needs that arise will be met by the Community Nursing service.

What is a nursing home?

A nursing home, sometimes called a care home with nursing, will care for people who also have regular nursing needs which require care or treatment by, or under the direct supervision of, a registered nurse.  Some care homes with nursing provide specialised care and support for older people with advanced dementia.

Some people may choose a care home that provides both residential and nursing care so that if their health deteriorates, they do not need to move. Couples with differing care needs can also stay together in such homes. 

Types of care home

There is a range of care homes in Bromley for:

  • older people;
  • people with learning disabilities;
  • people with physical disabilities or sensory impairment;
  • people with mental health problems and
  • people with dementia.

Your Guide to Independent Living, Support and Care Services contains a listing of care homes in Bromley together with advice and information about choosing and paying for care. You can either download a copy electronically or order a printed copy.

If you are assessed as needing long term care in a care home you will automatically receive a copy of the guide in the placement pack.

Arranging a place in a care home

Anyone who appears to have care and support needs is entitled to a care assessment.  You can ask us to complete this care assessment and we will determine whether you are eligible to have your needs met in residential or nursing care.

If your needs can only be met in residential or nursing care we can help you to find a home that can meet your needs.  Alternatively you can make your own private arrangements.

Checking standards in residential care

The Care Quality Commission is the independent regulator of health and social care in England.  It provides free, independent reports on the quality of your local homes and care services to help you make an informed choice. It also provides advice on  What you can expect from a good care home.  We recommend you view the most recent inspection report and quality rating before contacting a care home.

Paying for your care home

Anyone who appears to have care and support needs is entitled to a care assessment to determine the level of support you need. You can get advice about the care you require irrespective of who will be paying for the care home.

Paying for a care home is governed by the national Care and Support Statutory Guidance and can be a complex matter.  Most people who live in a care or nursing home do not receive funding from us.  You may wish to get advice about your own individual circumstances from an independent financial adviser.  If you do qualify for funding from us you will have to have a financial assessment.

More detailed information is available in:  Paying For Your Care Home booklet.  It contains information about:

  • the financial assessment carried out by Bromley Council;
  • how owning your own home affects your financial situation including details about Deferred Payment Agreements and
  • how much you may have to contribute towards your care home fees.

The Care and Support Statutory Guidance states that:

  • if you have more than £23,250 in capital and savings (excluding the value of your main home) you will have to pay the full cost of your care and accommodation;
  • if you have between £14,250 and £23,250 in capital and savings you will have to make a contribution to your care home fees, dependent on the exact amount of your income, savings and capital as determined by the financial assessment, and Bromley Council will pay the balance.
  • If you have less than £14,250 in capital and savings you will still have to make a contribution to your care home fees dependent on your income.

The amount Bromley Council will pay

The council has to give priority to those who need help to pay for their care.  We will set an estimated personal budget based on best value.  An estimated personal budget is the cost needed to meet your assessed, eligible needs.

The guide rates for 2020/21 for Bromley funded care homes located in Bromley are outlined below.  This includes any contribution you need to pay following your financial assessment. 

  • Residential care homes: £644
  • Residential dementia care: £668
  • Care homes with nursing: £744

Nursing needs

In both residential care and nursing homes any nursing needs will be funded by the NHS.  In some instances NHS Continuing Healthcare will pay for both your care and nursing needs if you are assessed as eligible under the NHS Framework for Continuing Healthcare funding.

Next steps

Contact residential financial assessment team


Tel: 020 8603 3553

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH