Disrepair to rented accommodation

How we can help

We use the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS)  to make sure that properties are safe for the people who live there. The HHSRS looks at whether premises have any defects that may give rise to a hazard, which in turn could cause harm to the occupiers, or any visitors. This involves inspecting your property for possible hazards.

It is not possible to completely remove all risk of harm from within the property, but the system provides a way that hazards can be assessed and to decide on what is the best way of dealing with them.

Further information about the HHSRS is available from the Office of Communities and Local Government website.

If we find a serious hazard we may:

  • issue an improvement notice
  • fix the hazard and bill the property owner for the cost
  • prohibit the use of part or all of the property

Information if the problem relates to:

Further advice

What we cannot help with

We do not get involved in disputes between tenants and landlords over minor defects, routine maintenance, and non-essential works such as painting and carpeting. These types of repairs will need to be negotiated between you and your landlord.

Report a disrepair problem

Housing enforcement


Tel: 0300 303 8657

Fax: 020 8313 4450

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH