If you think you or your family are living in overcrowded conditions, contact us and we will try to advise you of the options available to you. We will, where possible, remedy 'statutory overcrowding' and may consider legal action in some cases.


The assessment of overcrowding takes into account the number of habitable rooms and their sizes and the gender and age of the occupants. If, as a result of the assessment, your home is defined as overcrowded, we can advise you of the options available to you.

If you are a tenant living in crowded conditions you can consider moving to a more suitably sized property, with the assistance of your agent, landlord or other accommodation agencies.

If you are a tenant of a social landlord, you may find your landlord operates one or more schemes to help you find more suitable accommodation. To find out more contact your Housing Officer.

We can also provide landlords and managing agents with information and advice about overcrowding. 

Housing enforcement


Tel: 0300 303 8657

Fax: 020 8313 4450

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH