Temporary highway licences

Cherry picker

A Cherry Picker is the common name given to a Mobile Elevated Work Platform (MEWP) that consists of a platform or bucket at the end of a hydraulic lifting arm usually attached to a vehicle.

You will need a licence if you want to use a cherry picker on the public highway (unless part of contracted works from Bromley Council)

Please note this licence applies to where a Cherry Picker is creating a temporary and partial obstruction to the highway.  If the use of the Cherry Picker will prevent all road traffic from passing then a road closure application may be required.  

If any connected works involve a Streetworks permit , a temporary highway licence is required only if the cherry picker / crane is to be placed outside of the agreed works area, please check before applying.

Online payments

Our payment service provider Capita has updated the security used when you make a payment online. If you are using older software and versions of web browsers you may find that you are unable to complete payments on this website.  


Complete our cherry picker licence application form

Please allow 2 working days for your application to be processed.


A cherry picker licence costs £25 and is valid for a one day period and one location only.