Temporary highway licences


If you wish to place a builder's skip on any part of the highway, a temporary highway licence is required.

Only skip operating companies registered with us can apply for a temporary highway licence to place a skip on the highway and they are responsible for ensuring that all appropriate regulations are followed. The householder or the building contractor are not responsible for obtaining the permit. The responsibility for obtaining a licence rests solely with the skip supply company.

Roll on Roll Off (RORO) skips are licenced as storage containers

Our skip company register gives an up-to-date list of companies issuing skips within the borough.

If the skip needs to be placed in a pay-and-display parking bay, the skip operating company will need to arrange to suspend the parking bay for the duration of your licence.

You can check if a skip is licenced by viewing a list of temporary highways licences granted for skips and materials on public roads in the borough. 

Online payments

Our payment service provider Capita has updated the security used when you make a payment online. If you are using older software and versions of web browsers you may find that you are unable to complete payments on this website


Complete our skip licence application form.

Please allow 2 working days for your application to be processed.


A skip licence costs £38 and is valid for a 2 week period.

Any skip on the public highway not belonging to a registered skip company, or any skip placed in contravention of licencing conditions, may result in the responsible company incurring a penalty charge and/or seizure and removal of the skip.

Skip registration scheme

If you are a skip company not currently registered with Bromley Council you can apply to go on our skip operators list. Registration is free and applications are normally processed within five working days subject to: 

  • Holding a current waste carriers' licence 
  • Holding public liability insurance, to the value of £5 million 
  • Agreement to Bromley Council’s terms and conditions.