Temporary highway licences

Storage containers

You will need a licence if you wish to place a container on the public highway.

This includes Rol On Roll Off (RORO) skips, or portable cabins.

If you wish to place the container in a Pay-and-Display parking bay, permission from our parking section will also be required to suspend the bay for the duration of your licence.

If any connected works involve a streetworks permit  a temporary highway licence is required only if the container is to be placed outside of the agreed works area, please check before applying.

Online payments 

Our payment service provider Capita has updated the security used when you make a payment online. If you are using older software and versions of web browsers you may find that you are unable to complete payments on this website


Complete our storage container licence application form.

Please allow 2 working days for your application to be processed.


A storage container licence costs £214 and is valid for three months.