Civil marriage ceremonies

Giving notice of marriage

Notice of marriage is a legal statement about your intention to marry. It shows your personal details and those of your partner and the name of the venue where you will be married.

The requirements for giving notice

You should both attend the register office to give your notice unless you live in different areas in which case you each go to your local register office. You will each need to have resided in the relevant district for at least 7 days before giving notice and you must have a marriage ceremony booked. Notice can be given up to 12 calendar months before the date of your marriage, and a minimum of 28 days before. There is a fee for giving notice which is non-refundable. You will need an appointment to give notice of marriage in Bromley.

Bromley Register Office is not designated to carry out legal preliminaries for persons subject to immigration control who wish to marry. More information about marriage for foreign nationals.

What happens when you give notice at the Register Office

The Superintendent Registrar will ask you questions about your identity, age and freedom to marry.  You will be asked to produce documents such as a birth certificate, passport or deed poll so that we can check your ages and the spelling of your names.  If either of you have been married before you will need to produce a death certificate or divorce decree absolute to confirm your freedom to marry.  If your divorce was granted outside the UK it may be necessary for us to submit it to the General Register Office for final verification.  Other documents may be requested depending upon individual circumstances.  Please bring original documents with you to the Register Office, with certified translations if applicable.  Photocopies are not accepted.

After giving notice, your application is displayed on the Register Office's public notice board for 28 clear days (couples subject to immigration control may have their notice period extended to 70 days). It is therefore important to complete legal preliminaries, at your local register office or a designated register office, as soon as possible, to allow plenty of time before the ceremony is due to take place. After this period two blue certificates, which allow you to be married, can be issued. If you are being married in a foreign country the display period may be longer.


You will need to book an appointment using our online diary.

Booking online means you can browse the diary for the most convenient time and you will be able to amend or cancel appointments easily.

You can book by calling us, but you will be offered the next available appointment only. 

Opening hours are Monday to Friday from 9.30 am to 4.30 pm.

If you need to arrange an urgent marriage for someone who is dying, outside our office hours of 9.30am to 4.30pm, please telephone the emergency duty officer on 020 8464 4848. 


Each notice of marriage costs £35 which is a non-refundable fee. 

£50-75 for consideration of foreign (outside British Isles) divorce/civil partnership dissolution documentation.

Bromley Registration Service


Tel: 0300 303 8667

Civic Centre, Stockwell Close, Bromley, BR1 3UH